About the Authors.
Part One Establishing and Sustaining a Faculty Development Program.
1. Overview of Faculty Development: History and Choices (Mathew L. Ouellett).
2. Program Types and Prototypes (Virginia S. Lee).
3. Establishing an Educational Development Program (Douglas L. Robertson).
4. Working with a Faculty Development Committee (Kim M. Mooney).
5. Listen, Learn, Lead: Getting Started in Faculty Development (Margaret W. Cohen).
6. Important Skills and Knowledge (Todd D. Zakrajsek).
7. Promoting Your Program and Grounding It in the Institution (Ed Neal and Iola Peed-Neal).
8. Practical Suggestions for Programs and Activities (Donna E. Ellis and Leslie Ortquist-Ahrens).
Part Two Key Priorities in Faculty Development: Assessment, Diversity, and Technology.
9. Program Assessment for Faculty Development (Kathryn M. Plank and Alan Kalish).
10. Assessing Teaching Practices and Effectiveness for Formative Purposes (Michael Theall and Jennifer L. Franklin).
11. Assessment Practices Related to Student Learning: Transformative Assessment (Catherine M. Wehlburg).
12. Overview of Diversity Issues Relating to Faculty Development (Mathew L. Ouellett).
13. Conceptualizing, Designing, and Implementing Multicultural Faculty Development Activities (Christine A. Stanley0.
14. Working with Underrepresented Faculty (Franklin Tuitt).
15. International Faculty Development: Pursuing Our Work with Colleagues Around the World (Nancy Van Note Chism, David Gosling, and Mary Deane Sorcinelli).
16. Issues in Technology and Faculty Development (Sally Kuhlenschmidt).
Part Three Faculty Development Across Institutional Types, Career Stages, and Organizations.
17. Effective Practices at Research Universities: The Productive Pairing of Research and Teaching (Constance Ewing Cook and Michele Marincovich).
18. Effective Practices in the Context of Small Colleges (Michael Reder).
19. Faculty Development in the Context of the Community College (Helen Burnstad and Cynthia J. Hoss).
20. Graduate and Professional Student Development Programs (Laura L. B. Border and Linda M. von Hoene).
21. Working with Adjunct Faculty Members (Terri A. Tarr).
22. Supporting Faculty Members Across Their Careers (Ann E. Austin).
23. Organizational Development (Kay J. Gillespie).
Afterword by William H. Bergquist.