PART I: GETTING UNDER WAY.
1. Designing or Revising a Course.
2. The Comprehensive Course Syllabus.
3. The First Days of Class.
4. Classroom Conduct and Decorum.
PART II: RESPONDING TO A CHANGING STUDENT BODY.
5. Diversity and Inclusion in the Classroom.
6. Students with Disabilities.
7. Reentry and Transfer Students.
8. Teaching Academically Diverse Students.
PART III: DISCUSSION STRATEGIES.
9. Leading a Discussion.
10. Encouraging Student Participation in Discussion.
11. Online Discussions.
12. Asking Questions.
13. Fielding Students’ Questions.
PART IV: THE LARGE-ENROLLMENT COURSE.
14. Preparing to Teach the Large-Enrollment Course.
15. Delivering a Lecture.
16. Explaining Clearly.
17. Personalizing the Large-Enrollment Course.
18. Encouraging Student Participation in the Large-Enrollment Course.
19. Maintaining Instructional Quality with Limited Resources.
PART V: ALTERNATIVES AND SUPPLEMENTS TO LECTURES AND DISCUSSION.
20. Web 2.0.
21. Learning in Groups.
22. Informal Group Learning Activities.
23. Formal Group Learning Activities.
24. Case Studies.
25. Simulations. Role Playing, Games, and Virtual Worlds.
26. Service Learning and Civic Engagement.
27. Undergraduate Research.
28. Guest Speakers.
PART VI: ENHANCING STUDENTS’ LEARNING AND MOTIVATION.
29. Helping Students Learn.
30. Learning Styles and Preferences.
31. Motivating Students.
32. Informally Assessing Students’ Learning.
33. Mobile Learning.
PART VII: STRENGTHENING STUDENTS’ WRITING AND PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS.
34. Helping Students Write Better in All Courses.
35. Designing Effective Writing Assignments.
36. Evaluating Students’ Written Work.
37. Homework Problem Sets.
PART VIII: TESTING AND GRADING.
38. Promoting Academic Honesty.
39. Quizzes, Tests, and Exams.
40. Allaying Students’ Anxieties about Tests.
41. Multiple-Choice and Matching Tests.
42. Short-Answer and Essay Tests.
43. Grading Practices.
44. Calculating and Assigning Grades.
PART IX: PRESENTATION TECHNOLOGIES.
46. Chalkboards and Whiteboards.
47. Interactive Whiteboards.
48. Overhead Projection.
49. Slide Shows.
50. Video Recordings and Clips.
51. PowerPoint Presentations.
PART X: EVALUATION TO IMPROVE TEACHING.
52. Early Feedback to Improve Teaching and Learning.
53. Video Recordings and Classroom Observations.
54. The Teaching Portfolio.
PART XI: TEACHING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM.
55. Holding Office Hours.
56. E-mail, Text Messages, and Instant Messages.
57. Academic Advising and Mentoring Undergraduates.
58. Guiding, Training, Supervising, and Mentoring Graduate Student Instructors.
PART XII: FINISHING UP.
59. The Last Days of Class.
60. Student Rating Forms.
61. Writing Letters of Recommendation for Students.