A fundamental revolution in higher education is being sparked by the ubiquity of mobile devices used by students, faculty, and administrators. The opportunity is ripe for institutions, instructors, and instructional designers to take advantage of mobile technology to enhance the learning experience. To do this, we need to understand the power on tap, examine fundamental principles, review illustrative examples, and ultimately think through ways to improve the learner experience.
The Mobile Academy contains theoretical and practical guidance on the ways mobile devices can be used most effectively in higher education. It is a guide for systematically integrating mobile devices into courses and other academic and student support services in order to facilitate learning outcomes and student success.
The book covers a wealth of topics, including the use of text messages, mobile web, e-books, and mobile apps, as applied to:
- Administration: How mobile devices can be used to enhance enrollment, registration, alert messaging, surveys, and more
- Classroom Content: Suggestions for using mobile devices audio, video, documents, and other content
- Assessment: Guidance for applying mobile technology to portfolios, quizzes, simulations, and more
- Communication: Guidance on the various mobile communication options and social networks used for student-teacher interactions and social activities that foster learning
- The Future: Covers the next wave of mobile learning including virtual field trips, augmented reality, alternate reality games, and more.