About the Author.
Part I: Leadership.
1. Advice for New Chairpersons.
2. Seven Habits of Successful Chairpersons.
3. Providing Leadership.
4. Duties and Responsibilities of Chairpersons.
5. Timesaving Tips for Effective Chairpersons.
Part II: Department.
7. Developing a Departmental Vision.
8. Improving Your Department.
9. Developing Outcome Assessment Programs.
10. Managing Change.
11. Building and Maintaining Morale.
12. Managing Conflict.
13. Working With Constituents.
14. Working With Your Dean.
15. Dealing With Curriculum Matters.
16. Conducting Effective Meetings.
17. Budget and Financial Management.
Part III: Legal Issues.
18. Avoiding Legal Problems.
19. Understanding Sexual Harassment and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Part IV: Faculty.
20. Recruiting and Hiring Faculty.
21. Retaining, Mentoring, and Terminating Faculty.
22. Strategies for Faculty Development.
23. Evaluating Faculty Performance.
24. Handling Promotion and Tenure Issues.
25. Dealing With Chronic Low Achievers.
26. Dealing With Difficult Faculty.
Part V: Students.
27. Recruiting and Retaining Students.
28. Dealing With Emotional and Disrespectful Student Behavior.
Part VI: Looking Ahead.
29. Moving Up the Administrative Ladder.
30. Where Do You Go From Here?